Hi Nicol,
I think I can answer this one for Phil. It is actually pretty simple in this case. Some game companies are more protective than others regarding their copyrights. Activision, the current copyright holder of various Atari games, has never been too protective of their older copyrights such as Packman, Asteroids, etc. I think they realised that they aren't making much money off of those games these days anyway, and turn a blind eye to clones and third-party games baring the Packman and Asteroids trademarks. Besides outright theft of the games using Atari emulators there are several Linux clones like KDE Packman, Bomberman, Breakout, Asteroids, and so on that are officially copyright infringement, Activision could take action, but have never said anything about them. So what can you assume? Well, obviously there is always the risk Activision could take action, but it is unlikely they will. If it is a remote possability they will attack the mainstream open source comunity with a law suit it is even less likely they would go after a single blind developer which would be even less productive.

Nicol wrote:
Hi all
This question is for phil, but I am sure others would also like to hear the
answer so that  is  why I  am posting  the question here.
HI phil
I am very curious about something.
Can you please explain to us how you managed to release pack man without
landing in hot water?