Hi Nick,

Sorry, but I don't believe there is any such program. Besides, speaking from experience, you would be better off signing up to a service like
safari.oreilly.com
and reading all the professionalbooks they have on a given programming topic.

In my experience a lot of people want a cheap, quick and easy way to program, but there really is no such thing. Programming takes hundreds of hours studying, practicing, and learning. Just when you start getting good enough at what you do the technology changes and you need to update what you know with what's new, what has changed, and be prepared to adopt new ways of doing things if you want to keep up with programming trends. So even if there was a "training program" it would have to be updated regularly to make sure it meets all current programming trends, advancements, etc. Here is a simple example.

When I was in college I took an introduction course on the Java programming language which covered the Java 1.1 specification. The very next year after I took that class Sun released Java 1.2 which totally up ended and changed a lot of the things I knew. I had to get books from Safari and read up on all the changes between 1.1 and 1.2. Now, the current release is Java 1.6, and while not as dramatic as the switch from 1.1 to 1.2 I've had to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to changes, new core packages, classes, etc in order to keep up with an evolving programming language.

I had a similar experience with Visual Basic. I took Visual Basic 6 in 98 or 99, and by 2002 what I had learned was out dated crap. VB 7, AKA VB .NET 2002, was released in 2002, and introduced a lot of new concepts, was totally like a new programming language, compared to what I had taken in college. Which all goes to show a programmer has to constantly learn, upgrade, and learn some more if he/she wants to stay remotely current with his/her skills.

Nick Helms wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone new of an application that would introduce
you to the basics of programming?
Sort of like a program that would teach you a programming language?
If anyone knows of anything like this, please let me know.
Thanks,
nick