Hi Jim,
Basically, the term API referes to a collection of libraries, dll files for Windows users, that contain related functions shared by a particular type of program. In this particular case the Win32 API is the core programming API shared by most Windows programs. It contains such dll files as: kernel32.dll, user32.dll, winfax.dll, winsock.dll, to name a few of the more common libraries. As it happens DirectX is another API only specifically designed for multimedia applications like games. Even though DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectPlay, Direct3D, etc all have different functionality collectively they form what we call an API.

HTH

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Thomas,

May I ask, what is the Win32 API? What is an API? I don't know such terms. I just write code in the VB6 form load area and sub routines and they run.