The sound problems with the low health still being in the menus has been
squashed.  On my machine, although I do not know why, the game seems to be
reacting faster than in beta 7.  The keyboard seems to be more responsive.

Are the monsters more difficult to defeat?  Yes.
Are they more bothersome and troublesome?  Yes.
Replay value?  You betcha!
No, I have not beaten the game.  I like it anyway.  I cannot get through level
1, and the beta testers should have fun when more levels are added.  Hopefully,
those levels won't cause more bugs to delay this great game's release.  Good
job, Tom!
---
Shepherds are the best beasts.