Hi Thomas,
My opinion is that the game is great the way it is and there is no need to make drastic changes in it. There was never a blind friendly side scroller so I think having a swoosh sound when you miss, is consistent with the idea of making a pure visual game accessible. I didn't know that when you were in range of a creature in a side scroller that you hit 100 percent of the time. I am satisfied that if that is what happened in the original MR, then keep MOTA doing that.
sincerely,
Phil