Hi Dark,
I would agree with that assessment. I'll admit I've largely noddled my own engine after the GMA engine for the plane fact that it is familiar to me, it has some very excellent features, and it seamed like a great example of a fully accessible game engine to me. Even though it isn't fully 3d I instantly saw how the same engine could be updated to have a fully 3d environment, and I could build upon what was there to make a fully 3d FPS type title accessible.

I happen to own Monkey Business myself and the biggest disappointment is the navigation features in the game. I've done pretty well with the game, think it is fun, but I do get frustrated at times with the game when I have to listen to a sonar sound instead of having it described verbally. So obviously I'd be more in favor of doing things the way GMA did it rather than the way it was done in Monkey Business.

Anyway, I personally don't think going from a 2d FPS like shades of Doom to a 3d FPS is going to be that much of a big adjustment. Especially, since my game engine was designed along the lines of the GMA engine. Although, we will see how well it is received when I release my first 3d title.

dark wrote:
Hi. to me, the difficulty of a 3D game depends entirely upon how good the navigation tools in that particular game are. Monkey business, i have to admit, I'm actually absolutely appauling! at and have never made it through the Jungle stage successfully. I just find the navigation used in that game extremely imprecise, as to pointing out objects, and spend most of my time running into walls uncertain of where I am. the games produced with the Gma engine, ---- and indeed Terraformers however, are a vastly different story. The precise nature of audio to in game objects with turn indicators etc, the use of various viewing tools like the list view, or the 360 and streight ahead scans, ---- the precise nature of object indication sounds and the ability to have objects in range listed by catagory using the monster view, ---- not to mention of course some great sonar for targiting (though the audio precision in the Gma engine is quite useable as it is). All of these contribute to making 3D navigation not only possible, ---- but considderably easy. I'm fairly certain that however complex the environment, Tom will be able to utilize tools to compensate, ----- actually I personally think the view function in 2D mota makes the game a litle too easy when calculating jumps (though I'm certainly not saying it should be removed or changed, ---- just illustrating Tom's ability to create really good ease of use tools for his games. I'd therefore really encourage people who've felt 3D frustration not to be put off 3D entirely, ---- and especially not by monkey business. Beware the grue!
dark.