Hi Thomas,
In another message I talked about the trap door making a repeating sound a specific number of times. It would be like a wheel with a flat spot that clicks each time it comes around. So you could test the speed of the trap door and count the clicks then the next time get through the door before that number of clicks happen.
That sounds more realistic.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota help

Hi Phil,
Hmmm...Well, the only problemI can foresee with that solution is in a
game like MOTA or any of the Tomb Hunter series we are in an ancient
tomb or abandoned temple. As a result I'd have to get pretty creative if
I am going to speak a countdown timer. However, in games like Shades of
Doom it is a science fiction type game so having a computer speaking a
countdown timer is quite at home in a game like that. I guess what I'm
aiming for is realism.

Smile.

Phil Vlasak wrote:
Hi Thomas,
The only way I was able to get those timed situations working well was
to have a verbal countdown.
I did this in the DOS Pack man in which the ghosts voiced the distance
to you either in a normal voice which was ahead of you or in a deep
voice which was ghosts behind you.

Or in Space invaders where the invaders spoke their distance from you
as they changed rows.
David did a countdown in his SOD timed mines and I am adding a
countdown in Sarah to spells that are timed to end.
Even Star Trek had a count down voice for when the ship would self
destruct.
So having a trap door that counts down to when it is closed is realistic.
Phil