Hi Jim,

Certainly having a 5.1 surround sound headphones and sound card certainly helps, but it isn't always necessary to play an FPS game like Shades of Doom. I know in Shades of Doom it can be configured for standard stereo headphones and speakers or for a full 5.1 surround sound system. Even without a 5.1 surround sound setup I did play and beat the game. Having that kind of audio setup added to the realism, made things easier, but wasn't necessary for me to beat the game.

However, I think you brought up a good point about games lacking good tactile feedback. All of us use some form of tactile feedback in the real world such as trailing walls and sidewalks, get feedback from our canes and our feet, pick up smells, listen for audio cues, etc. As a result we can generally depend on four of our five senses. In a game we depend specifically on audio alone, and I guess some people aren't able to travel based on audio alone.

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Charles,

I due to RPs tunnel vision became legally blind at 21 and had to give up driving at that point. I could still see pretty good until I was about 30. So I still think that I have pretty good spacial visualization skills. And with some exploring I get around new environments pretty darn good.

But when it comes to games, I am one of those who just walks around and around running into walls and getting frustrated. Could be because I do not have surround sound speakers or headphones or sound card, But could also be because in the real world there is tactile feedback, wind, smells, being able to stand, listen, turn your head back and forth etc etc. I think that it also has some to do with how much you really really want to be able to play the game and how many times and how much frustration you are willing to put up with to get it.

Some people have had allot of trouble with Pong, Homer on a Harley, Puppy 1, Mach 1 and Mach 1 tts. Just can not get the play of the game pictured in their head I guess.

I did buy a Book Sense XT and some professional stereo ear bud sort of type microphones. I recorded a walk out to the flag pole and back. I think that it sounds awesome! Don't know if one could get such realism in a game or not.

BFN

    Jim

Reality is the only obstacle to happiness.

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920
Chardon Ohio USA