My own personal belief, is that what will change access will also be the force
which will change the Uk libraries thinking on accessible books, ----- time.

There is no point denying, %70 of visually impared people are over the age of
60, ----- and %50 are over the age of 70.

Currently, that comprises people who grew up in the 1940's and 50's.

such people are not naturally interested in science fiction, fantasy or, ----
by extention computer games.

At a recent doctor who convention however, the oldest people there were my
dad's age, betwene 50 and 60, ---- having grown up in the 1960's, ---- much
like my parents, they watched Doctor who, original Startrek, Blake 7,
quatermass, buck rogers etc.

Over the next ten years, that group of people will start to lose their sight,
---- and will have significantly different reading interests to those who grew
up ten years earlier.

thus, sf books and films will have to be made accessible for them.

Similarly, people who grew up in the 1970's with the Atari 2600 etc; playing
games like Joust, space invaders, original If etc, are currently 40 or so.

the head of retroremakes.com, ---- a die hard gamer if there ever was one, is
himself 40.

In 20 years, when these people begin to lose their sight, they aren't going to
want to give up life long gaming hobbies simply because they can no longer see.

At that stage, game companies, both mainstream and independent will suddenly
have a group of older customers who will demand games, --- and, ---- as Bryan
said earlier, it won't be quite so devorced from public consciousness when
grandma Jones wants to play her atari but can't because she can no longer see
the screen.

Game companies and independent developers have already produced adaptations for
both deaf and physically impared people, ---- but (even with deafness), in
these cases they are disabilities which affect a larger proportion of younger
people who are themselves playing and buying computer games.

Were circumstances reversed, I could well imagine those self same people on
gamespot who said a blind person playing a graphical game was impossible, would
say it was similarly impossible for someone who was paralized from the kneck
down to play graphical games, ---- yet head tracker adapTations for pc games
and the wii eXIST, ---- AND WHILE NOT PERFECT, CERTAINLY ALLOW PEOPLE WITH SUCH
DISABILITIES TO PLAY MORE GAMES THAN PEOPLE WITH VISUAL IMPAREMENT CAN.

I'm thus very much of the opinion that the situation will indeed change, -----
though convincing game companies (or library services for that matter), of the
truth of this is something of an uphill struggle currently.

Beware the grue!