On the subject of gaming taste changing though Tom, ---- I'm not precisely as convinced, as frequently a classic remains so.

as an extreme example, I devote considderable time to learning and performing the works of Gilbert and sullivan. These are now about 110 years old, ---- yet, ---- though they contain some jokes which are out of context and need explaining, have much which is stil incredibly funny, and musically interesting today.

likewise, my first Mega man game was Mega man X2, first released in 1993 for the Snes (though I didn't play it until the year 2000).

This has all the features of 90's Mega man, contrasting stages, hidden bosses, two levels of charge for your weapon, many hidden items and extras, ---- and even multiple plot paths depending upon which bosses you managed to defeat.

Stil however, when I finally got to play the original Mega man in 206 with the release of the Aniversary collection, I found it a truly fantastic and playable game, ---- despite having few of the features of mmx2.

To give a more accessible example, ---- and one which people here will be familiar with, my brother first played the printed lone wolf books in the 1980's while he was at school.

Thanks to Project aon's online versions, ---- I can now play them myself, ---- and find them to be highly playable and truly fantastic. The only point of aging perhaps is the occasional sexism, ---- but as with Gilbert and sullivan, that can be overlooked (and having strong moral views on the subject I'm probably more sensative to it than most).

On the other hand, despite being a major fan of the series, the original nes Metroid is the only Metroid game I find absolutely unplayable, due to it's control issues, and lack of basic features such as the ability to duck or fire downwards.

I also have had many issues with the original dungeon crawl style interactive fiction adventures, ---- sinse I find the puzles problematic and often frustrating.

On both of these points though, there are people, ---- some of whome are my own age or younger, who would disagree profusely.

while to an extent your right about generational taste, ---- it does also seem that something well made will always be recognized as such by people who it appeals tomorrow's to.

Btw, I'm surprised you use talking microwaves as an example. My Godfather, who was in his 60's died last year, and actualy left me a talking microwave in his will.

while it's not something I'd have naturally used myself, ---- sinse i've always been quite happy with the access to the dile variety, I am glad of it now that I have it.

Beware the Grue!¬