That depends on a couple of things. As a customer, I strongly prefer having a name and id key which I can install on both my desktop and netbook without having to bother the developer. If I spend money on a game, I think I should have the right to have it available on either computer. Also, if I have a bad computer failure, I can still use my key on a new computer without having to explain everything to a game developer. There are a few games I simply haven't bothered to re-register because their keys are specific to computers I no longer have.

From a developer's perspective, it's a choice between more customer
convenience for less security. I know that can be a tough one. Keep in mind though that the more complex the security, the more agrivation your customers experience and the more work you potentially have to do. I hope you stick with the current system since it rewards honest customers with ease of use. It's sad that a number of people aren't worthy of such trust. However, these internet-based systems rob honest customers of a sense of ownership. If I buy a game on a CD, I own that game just like I own a book. These digital schemes feel more like you're renting games and don't actually own your copy.
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
www.blind-planet.com/content/personal-power

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://www.blind-planet.com/content/life-word-and-sound

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Bennefall" <phi...@blastbay.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:57 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Q9 and cracks

Hi all,

I just wanted to throw out a quick question here. As expected, there are quite a few user keys for Q9 floating around as I am only using a name/key registration system. Now, my question is; is it the best way to do things, or should I adopt an Internet unlocking strategy? The product ID/key approach is out of the question as regenerating keys for people can become quite a nightmare, and so the only option left for me is to make it check the registration data online. This of course forces the user to have an active Internet connection at the time of registration, but I think most people do these days. So, should I keep the registration system as it is or change it for all my future products to be Internet based?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

database 4638 (20091126) __________

http://www.eset.com