Hi John,
Fair enough. I just thought I'd toss that idea out there to see what you thought about it. SWT might be more accessible in the long run, but going back and redoing your games to switch over to it isn't exactly ideal as you yourself pointed out.

There is however perhaps a simpler and easier alternative you don't know about. A guy on the game developers list, Quentin I think it was, has written a Java package that allows a Java developer to include Sapi, JFW API, and Window-Eyes API support in any Java application. I don't know much about the project myself, but it might be something you want to look into as it might solve your problem. This way instead of dealing with the access bridge you could support Jaws directly through the JFW API and the same with Window-Eyes. For other users there is Sapi 5 support to fall back on.

Cheers!

John Bannick wrote:
Thomas,

You're correct; SWT is an excellent clone of Java Swing.
I've done some SWT and coded Swing for 10 years.

However, no way are we going to convert our code base from Swing to SWT.
You're right to suspect that it would take too much time and expense.
Nor are we likely to go to a two-API code base. Ditto.

BTW. IMHO the bit about SWT looking and feeling more natural than Swing is nonsense.
I've been doing GUI professionally since before the G in GUI.
When you ask someone to really compare a Swing GUI to an SWT GUI, no one I've challenged has been able to tell the difference. But then again, folks in our profession are known for sometimes putting religion in front of observed phenomena.

Also, I think the SWT toolkit is equal to, but not better than Swing.
Not religion, just a worker-bee who uses the stuff all day.

But you are correct that SWT would be a superior accessibility choice.
And if I were starting our company today, very likely SWT would be what we would use.

Thanks for the insights,

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software