Hello nick.

I did my first year in computer science using Java. While it isn't the best language for fast action accessible game development, it has many selling points, including portability and it also has similar syntax to c++. All in all it isn't a bad language to start with, especially considering that object orientated languages seems the way to go.

The corse I did placed emphasis on modular programming, which is good and again another selling point of the Java language.

Practically speaking, the Java virtual machine which it uses to execute the bytecode is the slowest of the languages that use a similar approach and even interpreted languages like python and ruby is faster.

I am getting quite off topic now, so write me off list if you need more information.
hth.