actually the safest stuff to buy is a non branded system.
We have a couple an amd and an intel.
Both of these were got all in pieces and put together by a tech we know it
costs us parts but still.
No branded things means except for what comes with the dvd drive and other
drivers we can run lightly.
At any rate with all the systems I have including the new ones for grandpa I
have uninstalled everything almost like my toshiba.
I have only the stuff loaded to keep things going.
drives, diag utility and some others.
all visual power and config and security is removed or rather as much as i can.
The longest running laptop with my toshiba 1850t series on dos 6.22
Its actually been the most abused system.
its been dropped off a desk, has had cousins shoving things into its ports
broken keyboards and other things.
all in all after loads of patches its been going for about 8 years till its hdd
and floppy drives died for the third time and it dropped again causing the
battery holder to snap and the battery getting  rather hot.
I think it wanted to go to heaven I had no space and tearfully let it go.
Since that I have not had a system lasting as long with exception of the nec
which lasted 2 years the other systems lasted 6 years the other satelite did
anyway with all my abuse.
the satelite a10 I have had for about 6 years failed after overuse of its cd
writer caused that to not read cds and it currently will not boot, at any rate
its screen does not stay up it flopps and such so it was probably due for a
replacement, also the second fan is seasing up again.
I have no  idea what will happen when this system the  tecra a9 dies.
depends if we are all in win7 or not.
I may have to bite the bullet and get win7 or whatever at that point.
Ofcause i have slower systems but hmph.
Oh well maybe I will be able to spend 730 bucks on myself and get a desktop
with win xp its not portable which is why I still like laptops its also bigger.