its funny how the older stuff seems to last longer than the newer stuff.
The registry is more stable than it was but it can still get mangled.
file systems are better.
However in the old days, win98 or win95 you could run almost on nothing at all.
ofcause  registry was simpler then.
in early xp and nt before dcm mirror drivers and the like it was easy to
unchain the system tget it not bootable at all simply by running 2
screenreaders at once.
or plugging in a dectalk and trying to run it in sam.
In fact the dectalk issue still exist though its been fixed with removal of
serial ports.
Even win311 had a registry.
However in dos it was real simple.
you  could run what you wanted.
if something serious  software wise went wrong the most you would have to do
was delete a config file, replace the program in question or replace the os.
all without a reformat unless adriver mangled and then you just repaced that,
ofcause not withstanding hardware failier and the fact everything was direct
connect with no protective layer meaning stuff could steal others space.
Laptops in the 80s and early 90s didn't even have fans and were really quiet
for their time.