Hi Shirley,
A really good resource for free interactive fiction text adventures is
http://www.ifarchive.org
but you will need to download some additional software to run them such
as wintads, the Adrift Runner, Winfrotz, etc. Which interpretor you need
depends on the game you download.
Another game you might want to look at is Sryth. It is a large web based
roll playing game which you play in your web browser of choice. To sign
up and play Sryth go to
http://www.sryth.com.

HTH