Hi James,
You expand your empire by conquering new worlds visible on the map.
Those will create new resources for you if you designate them properly
and if they're of a high enough technology level.  Tech level itself
increases gradually, though if you have any worlds designated as
universities they'll work specifically on new research for you.  Also,
realize that if you conquer a primitive world its level will begin a
rapid rise as it is forced to integrate with the rest of the empire.
Finally, if you accidentally redesignate your capital to be a world with
lower technology level than the current one, planets will actually
regress.
Again, I really think reading the Dos manual is an excellent idea, as it
explains things in far better detail than I could.
Best,
Zack.