Hi Dark,
I'm afraid the only thing you can do is practice.  The set of steps I
outlined is pretty exacting: any deviation will probably mess things up.
I know that it is possible to play, definitely.  If I could figure out
why the Windows version acts oddly on my computer I'd be there.
As for Dos, you need to first select game->new game... and load a
scenario, and then select game->begin to actually start it.
Hope this helps,
Zack.