Since powerbasic has a new version, (9.0) , the old version 8.0 is on sale now.
Initially $169, you can buy the classic version for just $49 now.
You can read all about it at
http://www.powerbasic.com
Anyone who wants a modern fully operational powerful language, but the
simplicity of basic really should check this one out.
You'll see why after you read it's description.
I've been a user of their products for many many years, and have had nothing
but excellent results.
(unfortunately) I don't work for them, so this is not a promotion, simply an
attempt to inform.