Hi Thomas,

My reasoning is this. Yes, C++ is the best language in which to develop games in my opinion but it's not necessarily the fastest. With this approach one effectively combines the speed of C++ with the flexibility of a modern scripting language as all the CPU intensive stuff is actually done in the engine, or most of it anyway. Thus, I'll be developing my own games using this engine as well once it reaches a stable enough stage.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 4:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Progress on the Blastbay game creation tool (Bgt)

Hi philip,
Sounds great. Can't wait until this thing is available for developers
to test. Even though I'm a C++ developer myself I do see the advantage
of using a tool like this for rapid game development.  Plus you've
added a lot of extra security features like the ability to protect
sounds and music, support ogg files, so this toolkit sounds like it
will rock for future games for the blind.

Cheers!

Hi folks,

I just wanted to update you all on the progress of the game creation engine
that I spoke of back in October. It has been slowed down due to some
difficulties with the script interpreter, but they are all resolved now and development can continue rapidly. In short, the language has C++ syntax but with several simplifications such as a large number of prewritten functions
that allow you to get things like audio, keyboard input, file reading and
writing, artificial intelligence etc, up and running in no time. You also
have automatic memory management built in so you need not worry about
freeing the resources that you have claimed, unless you want to be a little
efficient and free things when you know that they are not being used
anymore.

The tool will feature a bunch of playable example games as well as ready to use templates that one can just import and then customize. For example there will be a sidescroller template so that you can make games such as Q9 very
quickly with predefined enemy behavior that you can control, customizable
levels and objects etc etc. Thus, it is possible for a skilled Bgt user to write their own games from scratch or even their own templates for others to
use, while the more inexperienced user can start from and modify existing
templates to construct a game with relative ease.

And of course, one is able to compile a finished script into a stand-alone
executable with no dependencies other than Direct X and, well, Microsoft
Windows. This executable can then be distributed along with your sounds and
documentation either in a portable fashion as to be usable from a flash
drive, or you can use an installation builder such as InnoSetup to generate
a standard installation program for it.

So that's it for now. Just thought I'd let you know how things stand... Keep
your eyes and ears open!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall