Hi Thomas,

Yes, absolutely. The engine is built in such a way so that core components are linked as little as possible which means that it's very easy to change one of them internally as long as its public interface remains relatively unchanged. It would be a bit of a hassle to port the DirectSound code to XNA but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually, at least once we get to the point where not many people are using Xp anymore.

Of course, Bgt being a scripting engine it is not as fast as C++ but the idea is to keep all the heavy processing such as the internal sound management and multithreading entirely hidden from the user. In short, all the CPU critical code is still compiled from C++ and so it has no performance penalty. To give you an example, the following Bgt script runs for 1.12 seconds average on my machine.

void main()
{
show_game_window("My Test");
alert("Starting", "Starting loop.");
long x=0;
timer counter;
while(x<1000000)
{
string test="Ha, I'll write to you!";
x+=1;
}
long time_spent=counter.elapsed;
alert("Finished", "Loop finished! It took " + time_spent + " milliseconds.");
}

This, I think, is pretty reasonable for a scripting language all things considered.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall