The problem is that each item is assigned a numerical value which it
can--and sometimes must--be referenced by. If you have a blue shirt and a
red shirt, you can't just type wear red shirt, wear 2.shirt, or wear other
shirt. You might actually have to type wear 186423. The numbers are output
in a multi-column display that takes some serious navigation. At one point I
designed a vipmud script that was able to extrapolate this data into a list,
but I lost it when my hard drive crashed. If you're a masochist--see
below--I can try to reproduce the script for you.

Beyond this, though, there are two things worth pointing out about
Lusternia:

First, quests are absolutely timed. They're also shared with anyone else who
happens to be in the area. This means that if the old woman tells you to
kill 3 jellyfish, and you manage to kill 2 while someone else kills the
other in the area, you have to wait until the monsters respawn to find a
third. By this time, all of the quest variables have reset, and you have to
start over completely. Likely the other person in the area is also starting
over, so lather, rinse, repeat.

Second, while PVP combat isn't required in Lusternia, it's something a fair
number of people take part in, and in Lusternia it's a challenge and a half
while blind.

I am generally the absolute last person who would ever play the blindness
card, especially in mud situations, but Lusternia is the rare exception.
Each of the more than two dozen guilds has perhaps 50 unique abilities, many
of which are used in combat. Each of these abilities can cause one of more
than 50 different afflictions, and each of these afflictions has a different
herbal, skill, or potion-based cure. In fact the curing system is so
advanced that many players have developed custom scripts to automate curing
entirely, and these scripts are perfectly legal with the admins. The scripts
require higher-level visual basic programming to execute and are mainly
accessible via mushclient or zmud.

But on top of all that, the walls of text one faces are amazingly high.
Imagine going on a raid with 18 other people while all of the npc's and
players of the opposing factions are fighting back. We're talking about 3
dozen people all executing commands, performing abilities, casting spells,
and generally trying to tear you and one another apart. And because there
are hundreds of abilities all being executed at once, you can't exactly gag
the extra information.

I spent more than $200 on credits and items over the course of my time in
Lusternia and ended up having to give it all up when it turned out I just
couldn't make combat work regardless of how much script sorcery I employed.

If you're looking for something quest intensive, I strongly recommend 3
kingdoms.

The basis of 3 kingdoms is that there are ... get this ... 3 kingdoms:
fantasy, science, and chaos. Fantasy is your basic swords and sorcery
setup--always fun. Science deals with anything technological be it Sci-Fi or
modern day. Beginners can troop through an army compound and battle
commanders and soldiers, wade through heaps of destruction in a
post-apocalyptic battle with mechanized warriors, or tangle with
eco-terrorists on an oil field in hopes of defusing the bomb. For everything
else, there's chaos. Ever wanted to duke it out against an army of duplo
blocks? How about pitting your skills against the cast of mortal kombat
characters armed with your trusty Halfling pipe of doom? Now you can!

The best part about 3 kingdoms, though, is that quests are required--and
some of them are crazily complex, taking literally weeks to complete. Guilds
range from warders and necromancers to cybernetic ninjas, Jedi, and
battle-suited juggernauts. If you don't want to get involved in PVP, don't;
it's optional.

To give it a look, connect to 3k.org port 23.