Hi Shaun,
I'm pretty sure it is a licensing issue. I know that Nextup.com sell
the Real Speak voices from Scansoft as well, and those are locked to
TextAloud. If this is the case with TextAloud they probably have some
kind of licensing issue that prevents Freedom Scientific from
distributing the Sapi 5 TTS versions of the voices. Instead Jaws comes
with the versions that are linked to the Real Speak Solo libraries
directly. Still, it is a raw deal considering the price we have to pay
for Jaws, Openbook, etc and get proprietary junk for the money.
That is why I no longer purchase voices through Nextup.com or care if
I get the versions provided on the Freedom Scientific web site. Any
proprietary version that won't work with all of my games, with
TextAloud, screen readers, etc is not worth my money. I recently
obtained a copy of Acapella Heather and Lucy that are Sapi compatible,
and deleted the proprietary versions for TextAloud. Main reason is I'm
sick of paying for a new version of a specific voice just to use it
with product x. That is a rip off in my opinion.