Hi Thomas,

The problem can pretty much be summarized like this. I do not personally have a Mac and since i've never had any reason to dislike or want to switch from Windows it's not something that is high priority for me to investigate. Because of this, I would only do a Mac port if I felt that the commercial potential was high enough to justify my purchasing a Mac as well as learning how to develop for it, and then finally port my underlying codebase. I do not use a cross platform audio library such as OpenAl mainly because it forces yet another component on to the end user's machine as, apparently, they decided not to make it possible to link to it staticly for whatever strange reason. Besides, OpenAl will most likely be using DirectSound on Windows Xp anyway and so I figured that I might as well interact directly with it rather than using another third party layer. I will be porting it over to XAudio2 eventually, but this won't be for at least another couple of years as I feel that DirectSound is still being widely used.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] programming

Hi Philip,
Oh, I know there are far more than 10 to 15 VI Mac users out there. I
don't have exact figures, as I don't know how many there are myself,
but a good indicater is to checkout the Mac Visionaries mailing list.
That seams to be were most of the VI Mac users hang out on the
internet.
As for your other points I agree. It is something of a costly endever
to support both Mac and Windows, but not impossible. A lot of it comes
down to using libraries that are common to both like OpenAL 1.1
instead of DirectSound for audio support, OpenGL for graphics support
rather than Direct3D, and so on. However, as I've found out myself
there is a trade off when picking open source libraries verses the
better and more well known DirectX libraries. It is only a decision a
developer really should make if he/she has a personal interested in
seeing versions for another platform, or have a financial reason to
expand into those other markets.

Cheers!

Hi Travis,

The 10 to 15 order figure was only a guess on my part, based on the fact
that direct requests from Mac users for ports have been so few. It is a
costly endeavour to port over an entire game engine from Windows to Mac,
mainly in time spent but there will also be some investment involved. And so
before I take on such a venture I need to be certain that I will at least
get a few hundred sales from Mac users; the same as I do on Windows.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall