Hi Philip,
Oh, I can completely understand were you are coming from. I myself am
strongly tempted to basically support DirectX on the Windows side and
use SFML/OpenAL on the Mac side of things. However, try as I might I
haven't found anything on the Mac side of things that truly rivals
DirectX on a feature by feature comparison, and if sselling games is
your business those extra features count for something.
For example, everyone knows that one of the games I am working on is
USA Raceway. One of the things I want to do is have stearing wheel
support with force feedback ability to truly make it more realistic.
Problem is DirectInput certainly has all the features I want, but
SFML's sfml-window.dll library only has generic input support for
stearing wheels and joysticks which makes it functional but lacking
features I want/need for that particular product. I've seen similar
issues when comparing sfml-audio which uses OpenAL. SFML/OpenAL has
pretty decent 3d audio support, but lacks a simple pan control which
comes in handy for side-scrollers or something like a Space Invaders
shooter. As a result to position the sound you have to use 3d
positioning which is overkill for simple arcade type games. As a
result I am strongly considering on using DirectX on the Windows side,
and when and if I decide to port to Mac or Linux I'll use something
like SFML.

HTH