Hi Harmony,
As my in-laws are exactly that kind of people I can tell you why. In
the old testament it has prohibitions against witchcraft, magic,
divination, and that kind of thing. So even though Harry Potter, Lord
of the Rings, Star Wars, you name it are completely fictional works of
art they view it as sinful, evil, and demonic. Therefore they tend to
demonize those types of books, movies, and games regardless if it is
truly evil or not.
Case in point. My in-laws once saw a commercial for Star Wars the
Phantom Menice on TV, and as they saw Darth Maul they said he was the
devil. Never mind Darth Maul is an alien, has nothing to do with
Satanism, never-the-less that is exactly what they believe. Harry
Potter, Star Wars, and anything like that is Satanic in their opinion.
The base their belief on a couple passages in the bible that tells
them they will go to hell if they have anything to do with magic and
witchcraft.