Hi,
Actually, on the first mission you shouldn't have to move at all. You
can quite easily destroy all of the ships by waiting for them to pass
in front of you, and let them take a few torpedoes each.  I've even
killed some ships like the cargoships with the deckgun just by sitting
there and taking pot shots at the enemy ships as they passed in front
of me. The only thing you have to be careful of is to make sure there
are no sinking ships in your line of fire as they tend to clutter the
target range pretty quickly after you start blasting ships.

HTH