I've written to the agrip list, but I wanted you folks to know as well that
I'm working on a new mod for Quake, and I'd love some feedback.  It's based on
Cara's Jedi quake, but with the taunts, death messages, and some other sounds
removed because of precaching issues.  This allows the game to be played in
single player mode, although maps like e1m3 still have to be played with skill
set to 1, the lowest level.  Haven't figured that out yet.
Anyway, the first thing I gave the mod is hunter rockets.  They're powerful
enough to blow up an enemy, but slow enough that you can actually follow them,
which can help you find new rooms--great navigational aid.
  Second, I've incorporated a coordinates system which lets you know where you
are in 3d space.
Third, the ranges and intervals for the d5k, nav, and sweep objects can be
adjusted in real-time.  Wanna know where that illusive door is?  Just zoom in
to find it, or zoom way out to get rid of distracting sounds.  This also helps
when you're in a tight place--just zoom out the sweep range and it'll show you
the smallest open spaces.  Also, when you're speeding down a corridor, you'll
be more likely to hear doors and slopes when the nav is sounding things out
three times per second instead of twice per second.
There is now a keys sound effect so you can hear them jangle as you approach
them, and when you're in front of weapons, a message is displayed so that you
not only hear its sound, but its name spoken as well.
I'm still quite the rookie when it comes to Quake C.  I feel like a
kindergartener trying to learn calculus, but it's coming.

Do you live near Sandusky Ohio, or are you planning a trip to Cedar Point?
Receive a massage at very competitive rates--$40 per hour for a revitalizing
therapeutic massage,
$65 per house call--any time, anywhere (within reason.)
Call 419-577-7973
I'll ease your pain and discomfort, loosen and mobilize your stiff joints,
relax your achy muscles, and help you let go of stress, depression, and nervous
anxiety...
Ken Downey, LMT

President of Blind Comfort!
The Caring Without the Staring