From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Philip Bennefall
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 1:21 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] Mota and tts

Hi Thomas,

I would like to make a small suggestion for Mota, if I may. I appreciate the

convenience of using synthetic speech while the game is in intensive
development (e.g. when you have a million things changing from day to day),
but in my mind you make a much more professional impression on your end
users if you use an actual voice talent in the final product. Since you are
using concatenated audio files anyway, this would not be a difficult thing
to do as it would just be a matter of replacing the tts version of each file

with the real woman's voice. To me, this gives the game a much nicer
atmosphere and an over-all nicer feel, as I personally tend to get rather
irritated with the little glitches that are inevitably going to be present
in every concatenated tts voice. When I say concatenated in this case I do
not mean your game sound files but rather the way that the actual voice is
constructed, there are hundreds of little chunks that they try to fit
together to form the particular phrase in question and these engines are far

from perfect. A real lady would be able to emphasise her words so that you
really feel for what she is saying and can put it in teh context of the game

so to speak, rather than the dry and unemotional tts voice equivalent. I
guess what I'm trying to say is, in a game where the text is so dynamic so
that a real human voice would be impossible such as Entombed I can put up
with tts, but in a game like Mota I think it would be highly benefitial for
the end product to use an actual voiceover artist. Again, you would only do
these recordings when you feel that it's not very likely that the general
set of words and phrases will change much. As an example, imagine Q9 with
NeoSpeech Paul?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall