Hi Josh,
Yes, Windows 7 comes with DirectX 8 libraries as part of its legacy
support for Windos XP applications. However, that said, I've noticed
some of the DirectX 8 things, such as DirectSound, no longer work
quite the same under Windows 7. It is generally recommended by
Microsoft to upgrade games to the newer DirectX libraries which Philip
says he eventually will be doing at some point. So I don't think there
is any reason to worry about compatibility issues at this point in
time.
As for how long Microsoft will continue to support DirectX 8, and if
it will be included in the next Windows release who knows. Windows 7
just came out so I'd say we have at least two or three years before
that will even become an issue. So again I don't think it is something
we need to be concerned about right now.

Cheers!