Hi Josh,
Hmmm...Might help Lucas Arts from taking it out of your hide. In fact
during the first few PC Star Wars games Lucas Arts created an entire
series of custom characters like Kile Katern  who wasn't really a part
of the main Star Wars universe. It was only after some time that a few
authors decided to write Kile Katern into the official Star Wars
Universe. So creating some custom characters is a start. You might
also release the game under a generic title that wouldn't immediately
clue someone into the fact it is a Star Wars game.

Cheers!