Hmmm since people seem to be discussing this.
I got into audio games by accident.
in about 1993 I started mucking with dad's old disks and found things I could
play.
My first real text game was from a friend and it was called intergalactic
battle.
you could be be oryan klingon I think romulan and federation and andromidan I
think not soure I think you could be cardation.
anyway you could have set games against your oponants or the computer.
the main screen was graphical but the system was controled with menus.

After I got on the net I was on the old henrichsen site which is now dead and
found various files called aud1.zip, etc.
I was curious, because well I was thinking it was something to do.
I downloaded the files and read them.
as i went through each mag i followed the links and read the articles.
up to then I had not even heard anything about interactive fiction.
in fact I did not get the net till 1995.
my first real audio game was sod alpha1 in 1996 I think.
from 1995 till 2000 I used an old 386 system which had been mangled some what
due to me dropping it off the desk.
the thing is now dead for ever more but I played dos stuff till then.
after that I made several attempts to play old stuff again.
this year I have finally got round to bothering with interpreters for windows
fully so we will see where this goes.
Actually I suppose I should thank josh for asking for my archive of games in
the first place because since switching to hard drive recordings I have not
touched  my cdr collection.
I had to sort this out and again got interested.