Hi Jim,
I wouldn't be a bit suprised. Dos and Linux shared many of the same
commandline applications back in those days. It was much easier to
create cross-platform applications like lynx, sox, pine,  ncftp, etc
than it is today. Today programming is more complicated because
instead of printing text directly to the screen or looking for
keyboard ascii codes we have full fledged graphical tool kits that are
generally operating system specific, unicode text, and special scan
codes for special keys such as the Windows key and other keys that
don't return a triditional ascii code.
However, I know all too well about trying to shell out to play a wav
file. Back when I was writing my first text games in the mid 90's in C
I would use the system function like
system ("play shuffle.wav");
which would shell out, play the shuffle file using sox, and then
return to normal game play.  It definitely was a pretty crude but
effective way of adding sounds to otherwise text games. As you said it
was sortof fun trying to figure out where to shell out, play the
sound, and then come back so it didn't seam as though it was all out
of place.

Smile.