Hi Michael,
Unfortunately, copyright law isn't quite that cut and dry.  Usually
such adaptations still require the copyright holders permission to do
the accessible version. The acception to this rule is something like a
book that can be converted to a specialized format like daisy or an
encrypted mp3 file that only plays on a certain type of player.
The point I'm getting at is the portion of the copyright law you are
talking about doesn't give a developer free license to modify or clone
any video game he/she wants to.  There are all kinds of associated
trademarks and ocopyrights attatched which makes licensing something
like that ricky under the best ofcircomstances. For example, sounds
and music are a different license from the game itself and if you are
not authorized to use them then you have just violated the copyright
law right there.
Even if what you are saying were true you are missing a very major
point. I am a commercial game developer and I charge a little money
for the work I do. If I had to release every game I liked, such as
Star Wars,  as freeware I wouldn't be making any money for my time or
work on that particular project.  I don't know about you and anyone
else but I have bills to pay etc too and I'd like a little financial
recognition for what I produce.
As far as not changing them that also would be a problem. What if, for
example, someone came up with a great story for a Star Wars game.
That's more or less an original idea, but if you were only alloud to
clone existing Star Wars games that wouldn't be any good either.
Sometimes during development you have to make changes or would like to
see something slightly different in your own version.
In fact, the very act of converting game x to audio only changes the
game quite a bit. While Phil did a good job converting Packman to
audio it is still none-the-less different from the game I use to play
on my Atari.  The sounds are similar, the same in some cases, and
different in others. There is spoken feedback, and it takes on a more
FPS-like feel to the game. All are changes that alter the sound and
game somewhat from the original one I knew and loved.