Hi,
One more comment on this. With Quake while the source code was made
open source the graphics and sounds contained in the pak file are
under a different license.  So while you can legally modify Quake to
all your hearts content you are still technically suppose to buy the
sounds and graphics to play it, or do what Agrip did by having you
play the demo.

HTH