Hi Shaun,
Sheesh, man! You are pretty rough on your laptops. Lol!
I've never had that much problem with any computer laptop or desktop
that I can recall.  If it is a desktop that has a hardware failior I
tend to replace the parts manually if it is something I can fix.
Laptops I just tend to take care of as best I can so they don't get
destroyed. Only Once haveI actually dropped a laptop and wonder of
wonders it lived to run another day without serious damage. Although,
I don't feel too bad for your NEC. I hate that brand with a passion.

Cheers!