To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 2:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] games on netbook

Hi Shaun,
Sheesh, man! You are pretty rough on your laptops. Lol!
I've never had that much problem with any computer laptop or desktop
that I can recall.  If it is a desktop that has a hardware failior I
tend to replace the parts manually if it is something I can fix.
Laptops I just tend to take care of as best I can so they don't get
destroyed. Only Once haveI actually dropped a laptop and wonder of
wonders it lived to run another day without serious damage. Although,
I don't feel too bad for your NEC. I hate that brand with a passion.

Cheers!

well since we are talking about laptops I have had several.
my t1850 with the keynot gold synth which lasted from 1993 till 2001
It got dropped, once had hard drives floppy drives keyboards 2 power modules
and a mains plug.
I used it as a main system for some time but it became a games box which
unfortunately ended when it decided its drives would all die at once.

my next was in 1996 it was a satelite 310cds.
this lasted to about 2001 as a main box.
running win95 and later 98se with its bios upgraded to version 8.0.
this was the only system that ever had a bios upgrade at all or that needed
upgrading.

2002-2004.
I decide to go with a funding agency and on their recomendation got a raw
deal with a nec versa.
yes the 310 was still going strong but it was rather useless and slow.
the worst system I ever had, had a mangled fan though unproven and required
reformatting every week or so to keep it working.
I used to spend half the time using it, a quarter of the time fixing it and
the rest bashint it literally in frustration.
it would break down in the most opertune circumstances like just before an
exam.
Grrrr.
I finally did a bios update to fix it and the update didn't go so well.
the main board died and I was happily able to replace the box.
after that I got a toshiba again, a satelite a9.
It was thankfully good and has lasted me till 2007 when its dvd drive burned
out.
 as a resolt I can't recover the box.
the screen is loose and floppy too.
after that I got an old toshiba 4400 which was for linux on tech, which I
used for what it was worth it was usefull.
I had it for a year then got rid of it.
The current system my tecra a9 has to its credit although trying to get me to reformat has not had me needing to although I have almost given up on it
at times.
its format process requires sight though and I am happy its gone ok for this
long even with the abuse its got which is not to much though its keyboard
was just replaced last month.
Its probably gona last me till it burns its cpu.

Ofcause not all the laptops are dead.

my 4400 is now an email system for my mums friend or one of them.
it does what it needs to do.
my 310 was traded for a couple disks of mp3s and is happily making someone
happy.
my a10 satelite if I ever manage to replace the fan, cd drive and screen
hinges will ride again though with its single core cpu there is probably not
much point.

my 1850 will work if I ever got the components, though I dropped it again
while trying to fix it resulting in smoking batteries and broken casings so
I think thats unlikely.
My nec is in hell and I hope it stays there.
disturbingly though it was the cheapest system on one of the us sites I
think cnet or something.