Hi Michael,
Generally speaking each game developer writes his/her own registration
tool.  Most software manufacturers write their own registration tool
so there really isn't any specific program you can point too and say
that is what you should use.
There are, however, some comercial licensing tools available, but they
tend to be quite expensive.  For example, Rail Racer uses a .Net
registration library called XHEO.  Last time I looked at it costs $300
for a single product license.
There are similar licensing libraries out there for VB 6, C++,
whatever but they are similarly expensive. So I'm not sure what you
need one for, but it is always cheaper to design your own then to
license one created by a third-party developer.