I'm one of the opposite camp. For me the sounds of the NES and even the Atari (yes, the Atari), are some of the most memorable in history. Indeed some of my fondest memories come from hearing the classic introductory doo doo doo doo of the Atari 2600 version of Pacman. Strangely enough I always thought that it was saying gar, gar, gar, gar every time Pacman would eat a dot. In fact I still do that to this day sometimes. For instance the Final Jeopardy sound, the one that plays when the clue and category are revealed always makes me think, "Glar." But seeing as I was born in 1980 and these types of games are what I grew up with, I have more of a soft spot for their sound, even if it does suck by today's standards.
We are the Knights who say...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] drastic change for audio games

Hi,
Sure. I could do something like that. Besides gold wouldn't be a very
good weapon anyway since gold is a soft metal. I'm sure I could think
of something like it though.
Anyway, back to your point I'm sure the sounds is one reason far too
many blind gamers ignore games of the NES and Super NES era. I agree
the sounds weren't all that great, but when I could see those games
were darn good. Of course, I didn't have to depend on sounds to get
around and play it either so could enjoy it more.
However, the technology exists to create games like those games only
with better quality sounds, musics, and were I so inclined, better
graphics as well.  Golden Ax is an example of a game that was very
good for the times, and still is good. I believe Sega has recently
released Golden Ax for their mega drive. So somebody out there still
thinks it is worth playing all these years later.