Hi Tom. I think you have a point... so many games are released by japanese
companies that Katanas or martial arts are almost inevitable. Although, I think
Japanese cultures also mesh wel with games, particularly the swords and
fighting styles.

I also have an interest in history and mythology though, and think the Katana
is getting somewhat overused. I wouldn't complain about a game with say a roman
gladus as Dark said, an aztec macuhitl, which is a club lined with obsidian as
a kind of sword. The lattor could even be an addition to Mota, since it's about
aztecs. Again, just my opinion.