Hi Miss Wings,
There aren't any ladders in Mysteries of the Ancients, but there are a
number of staircases you can go up or down to get into various rooms.
However, as far as level 1 goes the staircases are towards the end of
the level. In beta 12 they are wooden so it isn't very hard to know
when you are on a staircase.
As far as climbing ropes you have to make sure you have your weapons
holstered before jumping left, right, or up to grab the rope.
Logically, if Angela's hands are full she can't grab the rope because
she has something in her hands at the time.

HTH