Hi Dark,
I don't know what is causing the crash for sure much less a solution,
but I can tell you that the ascii character code and the Japanese
character set are completely incompatible. That's why computer
programmers came up with unicode. Unicode, which is the default
character encoding from Windows 2000 onwards, includes not just the
standard Western European characters but  support for Japanese,
Chinese, Hebrew, Greek, etc character sets as well. Basically, it is a
universal character code that allows you to support any language and
system of writing imaginable. The ascii characters are more or less
limited to standard English characters such as a through z, 0 through
9, and a few special characters like the pound sign, periods, commas,
tabs, spaces, etc. Not enough to support very unusual characters such
as Japanese or chinese characters. However, that shouldn't have
anything to do with Judgment day crashing.