Hi Shaun,
Like everything else in life I think there is a certain time and place
for everything. Using percentages is fine if we are talking about a
character that is a robot who has power levels, shields, etc that can
be measured in terms of percentages. However, when it comes to an
actual human being we can't just say you have 75^% health as that is
way too specific. We could say your health is good which it is, and be
done with it. That's not too specific, but does get the idea accross
you are not in too bad a shape. That's why I think the mainstream
games have it right with the color coded status bars.