I must confess tom, i generally prefer going for ease of use rather than logic myself, particularly in action games but fair enough, and I do see your point regarding keeping controls for the 3D game as similar as possible.

Beware the #Grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA (Standard) Beta 13 Released

Hi Dark,
Honestly I really wouldn't want to change the duck command at this point. I'
I've got a couple of reasons.
First, as I am about to release a 3d fps version as well I want all of
the game commands to be more or less the same between the different
versions except where a change is necessary like run left/right, run
forward, walk left/right, walk forward/backward, etc. Asigning duck to
something like d is a universally acceptable command and wouldn't
conflict with something like alt+down arrow which is used for jump
backward in the fps version of the game.
Second, there is an advantage to using d in a game like MOTA. You can
press d and use the left/right arrow keys to run in that direction in
a ducked position making it harder for enemies to hit you as you run.
Personally, I find this a very useful combo. A lot more useful than
say alt+down arrow.
I could asign it to c, but then again where would I put the
coordinates command. There we go with part of the problem I am having
with keyboard commands. After a while logical keyboard asignments
break down as I have more commands than logical places to put them.

HTH