To: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 11:04 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Aurora: An Accessible space strategy game

Hi All,
I can't claim credit for this game, sadly. That belongs to Nial, who found mention of it on an internet forum and posted about it on audiogames.net. Some people who frequent that forum might already know what I'm talking about, in which case feel free to skip this message. Aurora is a space strategy game in the style of games like Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations II, etc. The only reason it is accessible for blind people at all is that it is written in Visual Basic 6, and has a deliberate emphasis on gameplay over graphics. I need to put in a caveat here. The game is not as accessible as it could be currently, nor are all screens very speech-friendly. Nevertheless, it is possible to play quite a large percentage of the game as it currently stands. The developer seems to be quite willing to make changes to bennefit accessibility, much like the developer of Smugglers was. The barrier to entry is a bit higher for this game than for typical audio games. There is a large amount of detail here, without a centralized manual. The Aurora forums are a friendly place, and there is a lot of relevant information for somebody who wants to dig. They can be found at http://aurora.pentarch.org Speaking of the forums, you'll need to visit them in order to get the game. The current version is 5.14, but you need to get and apply a couple patches to reach it. I believe the progression is 4.91, 5.10, 5.14. For those who have applied Smugglers patches, the process is identical. I highly recommend anybody with a serious interest in strategy games give this one a look. It compares very favorably to commercial titles for sighted people, and unlike almost all the current crop of accessible strategy games for the audio market, it's single player. I'm willing to answer any questions you all might have, and look forward to hearing from fellow players.
Enjoy,
Zack.