Hi,
Yeah, my decision to run Windows 7 is certainly a personal one, but
the decision to build my games using the latest Visual C++ compiler
and libraries is a technical one.  A decision based on maintaining the
greatest amount of stability and compatibility across various Windows
versions from XP, Vista, and Windows 7. I can't help it if a user
chooses not to install the Windows updates or is running Service Pack
2 when they need Service Pack 3 etc. That is their decision to
continue running an out of date version of XP when what I'm trying to
do offers them a greater amount of stability and compatibility if the
ever should buy a new computer and end up having Windows 7 anyway. I
simply don't believe in using the lowest common denominator to pander
to a few users that don't believe they need to keep there XP, Vista,
or Windos 7 installation up to date for one reason or another.
Personally I find that both senseless and needless from a technical
point of view.
As far as running my games on 98 you really can't as the design is far
newer than the Windows 98 era stuff, but I certainly could, if I
wanted to, modify the source and recompile it with Visual C++ 6.0 and
create a 98 version. However, as Windows 98 is practically upgraded
out  of existance it makes little sense to create a version to support
an os that old. I doubt there are many VI gamers still running 98 now
days.