Hi Damien,
Actually, as I recall the Windows kernel, the core, was written in C++
along with the rest of the operating system.  At least the modern
Windows kernel. It is no longer necessary to write a kernel in
Assembly language because C and C++ are quite able to write some
extremely low-level code such as a kernel.
For example, the Linux kernel, vmlinuz, is written in pure C. Not C++
but straight C. As I have done some tinkering with the Linux kernel
myself, read through some of the low-level code that drive the
operating system, it is complicated stuff but C definitely does the
job as I've seen a kernel written in pure C personally.

Smile.