Hi Josh,
Yeah, i figured as much. As I said earlier on list the Windows XP mode
is crap. It is very slow and sluggish unless you are running an
extremely-high end system. Windows 7 takes quite a bit of resources
itself and adding the Windows XP mode drags things down to a snales
crawl. It is not a solution I would recommend for anyone
realistically.
The only solution I've found that really works for backwards
compatibility is to create a multiboot on your system that allows you
to select the operating system to load when the computer starts up.
For example, here is how my laptop is setup. I have Ubuntu Linux
installed to my main partition and the grub boot loader installed to
the MBR. Then I have a partition for Windows 7 installed to a second
partition on my hard drive. When my Compaq starts up I am prompted
with a menu to select Windows or Linux and it starts the os I want to
run. I think you are going to have to do this with XP and Windows 7 to
get maximum backwards compatibility with some older games etc.

HTH