Actually, there's several free dos screen readers now.
As someone already mentioned, jaws for dos is free.
There is a demo version of asap for dos which is free, though I don't remember
it's limitations.
There's another one written by Chuck Halenbeck, which I have gotten permission
to take over,
and can now be found at  http://www.softcon.com/speech/
(can't recall what it's called at the moment, but that page will have it
shortly)
I was going to submit it to the freedos project, so folks would have a screen
reader to be used with freedos