hmmm
usernet is old it was round before the net started.
I havn't bothered using it and in deed with the appearance of the forum, and email list its really not needed.
news groups were the first forum type thing and are just a message board.
you need to get a news server ie news.ispname.com.
most isps should have news support though a lot don't because news is well old.
so a spanking new isp will probably not have news.
an older isp may or may not depending on if its phased out and you probably will have to ask support for it as its not coman.
usually its news.ispname.com or nntp.ispname.com
all the groups are downloaded to your box or the lists are and you brouse.
to be honest though I wouldn't bothere with them.
klango is a glorified news board anyway, and forums should take place of news groups email lists to.